Architecture has come a long way since the columns were built in ancient times. These days, it seems that designers set to astonish more than to actually come up with a functional building. Let's not complain because we actually get to enjoy fantastic structures to gawk at.
1. ING Headquarters (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
A shoe? A spaceship? An airplane? You decide.
2. Nakagin Capsule Tower (Tokyo, Japan)
This looks like a stack of shoe boxes. Or radiators.
3. Longaberger Building (Ohio, USA)
A picnic basket for a kindhearted giant.
4. Banknote Building (Kaunas, Lithuania)
What a way to show your investors that your company has money.
5. Torres KIO (Madrid, Spain)
Intentionally leaning modern high-rise buildings.
6. National Architects Union Headquarters (Bucharest, Romania)
Those architects showing that they really are into different building designs.
7. Kansas City Library (Missouri, USA)
A library building that looks like a shelf of books! Awesome.
8. Tempe Municipal Building (Arizona, USA)
One of the few inverted style buildings we have today.
9. RMF Radio Station and RMF Television (Krakow, Poland)
Another out of this world design.
10. Stata Center (Massachusetts, USA)
This building looks fantastic from all angles.
11. The Gherkin Building (London, UK)
Looks truly astonishing in a sea of boring-looking structures.
12. Ripley’s Believe it or Not Building (Missouri, USA)
What happens when a real earthquake hits?
13. Intelligent Egg (Mumbai, India)
The name is a bit strange but the design is fantastic.
14. Dancing Building (Prague, Czech Republic)
This is supposed to depict a man and woman dancing.
15. CCTV Tower – China Central Television Headquarters (Beijing, China)
This design in a seismic zone?
16. Ripley’s Believe it or Not Building (Ontario, Canada)
Truly living up to the reputation.
17. NORD-LB Building (Hannover, Germany)
Looks very cool, especially with all the glass windows.
18. National Congress Building (Brazil)
The tall structures look boring enough but the disc-like things that flank them look weird.
19. Asahi Beer Tower (Tokyo, Japan)
I have no idea what that yellow thing is supposed to be.
20. Oakley Headquarters (California, USA)
This looks like a Star Wars character.
21. Fortress Storage (Massachusetts, USA)
Looks like another thing a giant might own.
22. Scottish Parliament (Edinburgh, Scotland)
Those are pretty awesome windows!
23. London City Hall (London, UK)
Another egg-shaped structure. What's with the obsession with eggs?
24. Bibliotheca Alexandrina (Egypt)
Definitely not intended to save space.
25. Gas Natural Headquarters (Barcelona, Spain)
I wonder if there are people working in that inclined glass structure.